This is a great Tool Kit that was put out by Travelers to Prepare for a Storm:
Many Affected by Lack of Flood Coverage!
Please find link attached which is an article from the Wall Street Journal reporting the devastation of hurricane Sandy and the driver of losses is caused by the Peril of Flood. Many of those impacted by damage did not purchase a flood insurance policy.
Over 30% of Flood Losses occur in non designated flood zones and flood is a separate insurance policy that must be purchased and renewed every year.
Be prepared – buy flood insurance!
When I am in a meeting and people ask what is the best risk management advice I can provide to a business or individual I tell them the following three things:
1. The best risk management plan for natural disasters is to make sure that you have purchased FIRE, WIND & FLOOD INSURANCE prior to a storm
2. Take pictures and or video of your insured property inside and out
3. Heed evacuation warnings
1. Get your insurance policies out so that you will have your policy number and the claims hot-line information ready if needed
2. Take photos and or video of your property inside and out prior to storm and upload on line or e mail so that information can be easily sent to a claims adjuster
American red cross has created i phone and android app for residents in hurricane-prone areas. The app provides users with the means to prepare for a hurricane or severe storm situation. The app even includes location based weather alerts from NOAA!
Due to the changes in the insurance carriers models the cost of wind insurance has increased significantly in some areas. If you have not obtained a wind mitigation form we recommend that you do today! A wind mitigation inspector will typically not charge for the inspection if no credit will be obtained on your insurance. There is no downside to having the inspection completed and the upside potential could provide thousands of dollars in insurance premium savings.
Hurricane Irene Flood Damage Devastates
Floods are the most catastrophic property hazards in the United States. Thirty to Forty percent of Flood Losses occur in non designated flood zones. Flood insurance responds to wave wash or any type of rising water. If Flood Insurance is not required by your commercial or personal lender you should still purchase flood insurance! It is always a separate policy and the cost is as low as a few hundred dollars a year.
There is a thirty day wait on new flood insurance policies so make sure you are covered and buy your flood insurance today. Don’t wait until after the storm!
The cost driver of the damage that was caused by hurricane Irene is Flood damage.
I think this article that was put out by Reuters is well written and provides some practical tips regarding coverage and claims procedures after the storm. Read it here.
As an independent insurance agency we are constantly engaged on behalf of our customers at the time of a loss. We answer any questions our customers have and manage their expectations at the time of a loss as to what to expect during the claims process. We also work as an advocate for our customers when there is a disagreement on the value of the property loss between the carrier’s adjustor and our customer. Most of the time any disagreement is worked out quickly by providing missing information that is needed to an adjustor.
Here at Blackwell Insurance we have been providing insurance for the citizens of Florida since 1972 and understand the catastrophic exposure that our commercial businesses and residents face.
For a Flood Insurance quote please call us today at 850 769 2225. A quote takes less than five minutes and can protect from a financially devastating loss.
Three easy steps to help you prepair for Hurricane Season:
1. Check your property insurance value and make sure it is up to date with replacement cost in the current market.
2. Take photos or video of your property (home or business) inside and out and make a detailed list of contents inside to provide to adjustor at the time of the claim.
3. Make sure you have purchased Flood Insurance. Flood Insurance is always a seperate policy and 30-40% of flood losses occur in a non designted flood area. You should purchase flood now because there is a 30 day wait for flood insurance if it is not required by a bank.
For these tips and more please watch news clip below:
Lines of Insurance Coverage Provided by Blackwell Insurance
Business Insurance Lines of Coverage
Inland Marine Contractors Equipment
Boiler & Machinery
Directors & Officers Liability
Employment Practices Liability
Marine Operators Legal Liability
Garage Keepers Legal Liability
Boat & Yacht
Liquor Liability Insurance
Personal Insurance Lines of Coverage
Recreational / Classic Vehicle
Jewelry / Fine Art
Boat / Yacht